Today Apple pushed out iOS 5.1.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch owners. Aside from fixing various bugs, it would seem that iOS 5.1.1 only brings improvements to the HDR option (for photos taken via the Lock Screen shortcut), Safari bookmarks and Safari’s built-in Reading List function.
Here are the release notes from the iOS 5.1.1 over-the-air update:
- Improves reliability of using HDR option for photos taken using the Lock Screen shortcut
- Addresses bugs that could prevent the new iPad from switching between 2G and 3G networks
- Fixes bugs that affected AirPlay video playback in some circumstances
- Improved reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and Reading List
- Fixes an issue where ‘Unable to purchase’ alert could be displayed after successful
While iOS 5.1.1 offers minor bug fixes and improvements, if you Jailbreak your iOS-based device, it’s recommended that you stay away from today’s update – unless you don’t mind a tethered Jailbreak. Moreover, if you’re on iOS 5.0.1 and you want to keep your untethered Jailbreak, especially if you have an iPhone 4S or an iPad 2, do not upgrade!
Additionally, if you rely on a software unlock on the iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS, stay as far away from iOS 5.1 as possible – it will update your baseband (causing your SIM to be unrecognizable).
Stay tuned for more news on iOS 5.1.1 and updates regarding its Jailbreak status.