How to Jailbreak 6.1 (5.2) Untethered Apple TV 2 Using Seas0nPass
Following last week’s release of Evasi0n, FireCore has recently updated their Apple TV Seas0nPass Jailbreak utility to include support for iOS 5.2, which is the Apple TV equivalent of iOS 6.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models. The new version of Seas0nPass makes use of the exploits discovered by the new Evad3rs Dev Team to successfully Jailbreak the 2nd-generation Apple TV on 5.2.
First, before we being, you’ll need the following:
An Apple TV 2, the 3rd generation is regrettably not supported, running the latest 5.2 (iOS 6.1 – 10B144b) firmware. Although it’s not required, a complete restore to iOS 5.2 will ensure that you don’t encounter errors during the Jailbreak process.
Seas0nPass (available in the download section below).
Steps for Mac and Windows users:
1. Open Seas0nPass after you download it (Windows users will be required to unzip the file) and place the Jailbreak utility in an easy-to-access location on your computer, preferably the desktop.
- If your computer is powered by Windows 7/8 or Windows Vista, you must first set the compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and run the Seas0nPass tool as an administrator by right clicking.
2. Click the left option, “Create IPSW”, to have Seas0nPass automatically download iOS 5.2 (6.1) and initiate the custom firmware process.
3. When prompted, plug your Apple TV’s power cord in and connect the device to a computer via a Micro USB cable.
4. Once the Apple TV is plugged in, immediately hold both the Menu and Pause/Play buttons – on the silver Apple remote – together for a total of seven seconds.
5. The indicator light on the front of the Apple TV should begin flashing rapidly, once it does, release the buttons on the remote.
6. At this point, the Apple TV will enter DFU mode and Seas0nPass will initiate an automated restore process – the utility will even direct iTunes to the custom IPSW’s file path.
7. Refrain from interacting with iTunes and Seas0nPass until the restore is complete.
Note: If you receive either a 1601 or 1602 error message from iTunes at the end of your restore, the Apple TV has been successfully Jailbroken and the restore was completed successfully. iTunes often gives false-positives when restoring the Apple TV to a custom firmware.
8. After the Apple TV 2 has finished restoring to iOS 5.2, it’s safe to unplug the device from your computer and connect it to a TV via an HDMI cable.
Congratulations, you now have an Untethered Jailbreak on iOS 6.1, 5.2 running on your Apple TV.
If you own an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch on iOS 6 through 6.1.1, I recommend following our in-depth Untethered Evasi0n Jailbreak written and video tutorials for all iOS-based devices.
Thanks for reading, we hope you enjoy your Untethered iOS 6.1 Jailbreak. Be sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, add us on Google+ and stay tuned for complete coverage on future Jailbreaks.