This post will walk you through the simple steps required to Jailbreak iOS 5.1 and the best part is that thanks to the new Redsn0w, you can be Jailbroken in a matter of minutes!
Steps (for Mac and PC users):
1. Download Redsn0w from the download section below and run it
- If you’re on Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you should right click Redsn0w and set compatibility to windows XP (service pack 2) and then run it as the administrator
2. Hit “Jailbreak” and enter DFU mode by following these easy steps:
a. Hold down the power button for 3 seconds
b. Continue holding the power button and start holding the home button and continue HOLDING BOTH for 10 seconds
c. Let go of power and continue holding home button for 20 seconds (even after it skips to the next screen! YOU MUST COUNT TO 20 ON YOUR OWN)
3. Select install Cydia and any other options you want (except “Install custom bundles”)
4. Wait for it to finish and reboot (the video shows how long the process takes)
5. Close out of Redsn0w – this step is VERY important
6. Open Redsn0w and go to “Extras”
7. Hit “Just boot” and enter DFU mode again by following the instructions in step 2
You are now Jailbroken on iOS 5.1!
NOTE: you WILL need to follow steps 6 and 7 every time you need to reboot your iDevice!
Stay tuned for future Jailbreak tutorials!