This tutorial will guide you through the simple steps required to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 and thanks to the new version of Redsn0w, you can be Jailbroken in a matter of minutes!
Steps (for Mac and PC users):
1. Download Redsn0w and your firmware from the download section below and run Redsn0w
- NOTE: If you’re on Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click Redsn0w and set compatibility to windows XP (service pack 2) and then run it as the administrator
2. Click “Extras”, followed by “Select IPSW” and point Redsn0w to your iOS 5.1 IPSW (downloaded in the previous step)
3. Go back to the main screen, click “Jailbreak” and enter DFU mode by following these easy steps:
- Hold down the home and power button together for a total of ten seconds
- After ten seconds, let go of power and continue holding home button for 20 seconds
4. Select install Cydia and other options that apply to you (except “Install custom bundles”)
5. Wait for it to finish and reboot (the video shows how long the process takes)
6. Close out of Redsn0w – this step is VERY important
7. Open Redsn0w again, go to “Extras”, click “Select ISPW” and browse for your iOS 5.1 IPSW
8. Once the IPSW is identified, click “Just boot” and enter DFU mode again by following the instructions found in step three
You are now Jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1!
NOTE 2: you NEED to follow steps seven and eight every time you need to reboot your iOS-based device!
Latest version of Redsn0w:
iOS 5.1 IPSW (via Apple):
IOS 5.1.1 For IPhone 4
iOS 5.1 For IPhone 3GS
IOS 5.1 FOR IPOD TOUCH 4G
IOS 5.1 FOR IPOD TOUCH 3G
IOS 5.1 For IPad 1
Stay tuned for future Jailbreak tutorials!