How To Jailbreak iOS 6.0.1 On iPhone 4, 3GS And iPod Touch 4th Gen
Yesterday, November 1st, Apple released iOS 6.0.1 to the public. Initially, I decided to wait to make a tutorial for the new 6.0.1 firmware until the iPhone Dev Team pushed out an updated version of Redsn0w. However, due to numerous questions I’ve received pertaining to the Jailbreak, I decided to create this in-depth tutorial to assist my readers and viewers. This tutorial will guide you through the simple steps required to Jailbreak iOS 6.0.1.
First, before we begin, you Will Need the following:
- An A4 (iPhone 4 and 4th Generation iPod touch) device or older (iPhone 3GS new and old bootrom) running Apple’s latest iOS 6.0.1 firmware.
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and your device’s corresponding 6.0 IPSW (available in the download section)
1. Open the latest version of Redsn0w after downloading it from our download page.
- If you’re on either Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, it’s required that you set the compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and run the program as an administrator by right clicking.
- If you’re on an OS X-based PC, a Mac, simply right click or control click Redsn0w and click the option to “open” the program.
2. Plug your device into your computer via your USB cable and click “Extras”.
3. Choose the option to “Select IPSW” and point the Redsn0w selection window at your iOS 6.0 IPSW (not 6.0.1).
4. Once the IPSW has been identified, click “Ok”, navigate back to the main Redsn0w screen and click “Jailbreak”.
5. Ensure that the option to “Install Cydia” is checked by default, continue and enter DFU mode by following these simple steps:
- Press and hold both the home and power buttons together for a total of ten seconds.
- After ten seconds has passed, let go of the power button and continue holding the home button for an additional ten to fifteen seconds.
6. Once the process is finished, wait for your iPhone or iPod touch to reboot (the video shows exactly how long the process takes).
7. Close out of Redsn0w and reopen it (refer back to the first step if you’re on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 or a Mac).
8. Navigate to “Extras”, “Select IPSW”, browse for your 6.0 IPSW, click “Ok” to the prompt, select “Just boot” and enter DFU mode by following the instructions outlined in the fifth step.
Download Redsn0w and iOS 6:
Semi Untethered: If you want to make your device semi untethered, follow the instructions listed here after completing this tutorial. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for future iOS 6 Jailbreak tutorials!