Today, following Apple’s recent release of iOS 7.1, the firmware that patches the evasi0n7 Untethered Jailbreak, I’ve decided to bring my readers and viewers an all-new Jailbreak tutorial for the firmware. Unfortunately, due to the fact that this 7.1 Jailbreak utility (GeekSn0w) is based on winocm’s Opensn0w project, it only supports the iPhone 4. GeekSn0w and Opensn0w utilize Geohot’s ancient limera1n exploit from 2010, which would include support for other A4-based devices, except for the fact that they’ve been phased out by Apple with the release of new firmwares.
Furthermore, GeekSn0w, which is currently limited to Windows, implements an unofficial version of Cydia that’s been modified to run on iOS 7.1. Due to the extreme nature of this utility, it’s entirely possible that you will experience issues both during and after the Jailbreak process. With that said, if you wish to continue, this tutorial will guide you through the steps required to successfully Jailbreak iOS 7.1 Tethered, which can be accomplished in less than thirty minutes.
Jailbreak 7.1 Steps (for Windows users only):
Before you can proceed and Jailbreak your iPhone 4, you will need to download and install the latest edition on both JDK 32-bit (Java Development Kit) and .NET Framework, which can be found in the download section listed below.
1. Download the GeekSn0w utility, place the file on your desktop and run the executable as an Administrator.
2. Inside of GeekSn0w, click “Jailbreak,” followed by the specific model of your iPhone 4 (i.e. GSM, GSM Revision A or CDMA) – if you’re unsure, visit Apple’s support page. At this point, you’ll need to enter DFU mode by following the basic instructions listed below:
- Press and hold both the home and power buttons for a total of ten seconds.
- Release the power button and continue holding the home button for an additional ten seconds.
- Refer to the above video tutorial if you require additional assistance.
3. Leave your iPhone 4 connected to your computer and take note of the prompts inside GeekSn0w. When the utility asks you to enter DFU mode, follow the above instructions.
4. Once your iPhone 4 reboots, unlock the device and leave it connected via USB, as GeekSn0w must finish the remainder of the Jailbreak process. Upon completion, your iPhone will reboot and you’ll be required to enter DFU mode for a third time.
5. After the final reboot, your iPhone will respring in roughly 30 seconds regardless of whether you’re inside an app – this is normal and will occur after every Tethered reboot.
Congratulations, after completing five simple steps, you will have a Tethered Jailbreak on iOS 7.1!
- GeekSn0w Windows utility for 7.1
- Java Development Kit 32-bit (this is a MUST)
- iOS 7.1 IPSW for the iPhone 4 (GSM and CDMA models)
- iTunes can be obtained through Apple’s official site
- .NET Framework is available through Microsoft
As always, thank you for reading my latest Jailbreak guide for iOS 7.1 and stay tuned for future coverage on the firmware and updates on the evad3rs’ far-off Untethered iOS 8 Jailbreak for all devices. Be sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, add us on Google+ and stay tuned.