This morning, March 19th, Apple released iOS 6.1.3 to the public. Unfortunately, the new firmware patches the 6.0 through 6.1.2 Untethered Evasi0n Jailbreak solution that functions on all devices running earlier versions of iOS 6. This tutorial will assist older iDevice owners in the process of Jailbreaking the latest firmware, of course if you’re looking for an Untethered Jailbreak, check out our written Evasi0n tutorial for iOS 6 through 6.1.2. Again, as previously stated, this article will guide you through the simple steps required to Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3 (Semi Untethered), which can be accomplished in a matter of minutes.
Before we begin, you’ll need the following:
- An older, A4-based device (either the iPhone 4 or the 4th generation iPod touch) or the iPhone 3GS (both new and old bootrom models are supported) running Apple’s latest iOS 6.1.3 firmware.
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and your iDevice’s corresponding 6.0 IPSW, both of which are available in the download section.
Steps (for Mac and PC users):
1. Download the latest version of Redsn0w from our download section below and run the utility.
- If your computer is running either Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, you must set the compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and run the program as an administrator by right clicking it.
2. Connect the iPhone or iPod touch to your computer via a standard 30-pin USB cable and click “Extras” inside Redsn0w.
4. Once the IPSW has been successfully identified, click “OK,” navigate back to the main Redsn0w screen and click the “Jailbreak” button.
5. Ensure that the option to “Install Cydia” has been checked by default and enter DFU mode by following the simple steps listed below:
- Press and hold both the home and power buttons for a total of ten seconds.
- Release the power button and continue holding the home button for an additional ten to fifteen seconds.
6. After the Jailbreak process has finished and your iPhone or iPod touch has booted up again (the video is an excellent indicator of approximately how long the entire process should take), close Redsn0w and re-open the utility.
7. Like before, navigate to “Extras,” “Select IPSW” and browse for the iOS 6.0 firmware file. Click “OK” to the prompt, select the option to “Just boot” and enter DFU mode by following the instructions found in the fifth step.
Congratulations, once your device reboots again, you will have a Tethered Jailbreak on iOS 6.1.3!
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 for Mac
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 for Windows
- iOS 6.0 IPSW for the iPhone 4, 3GS and iPod touch 4th Generation
If you encounter any errors during the iOS 6.1.3 Jailbreak process, click here to be taken to my video tutorial on YouTube.
Semi Untethered: To convert your Tethered Jailbreak into a Semi Untethered Jailbreak, follow the instructions outlined here after completing this tutorial.
As always, thank you for reading and stay tuned for additional coverage on iOS 6.1.3 and how the firmware affects Jailbreaking. Be sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, add us on Google+ and stay tuned for coverage on future Jailbreaks.