Jailbreak iOS 6.1 Semi Untethered iPhone 4,3Gs And iPod Touch 4 Tutorial
Today, January 28th, Apple released iOS 6.1 to the public. While an Untethered Jailbreak solution for all iOS-based devices will be released in a matter of days, this tutorial will assist older iDevice owners in the process of Jailbreaking the latest firmware ahead of the next major Jailbreak utility. Again, this article will walk you through the simple steps required to Jailbreak iOS 6.1 (Semi UNTETHERED), which can be accomplished in a matter of minutes.
First, before we continue, you will need the following:
- An older, A4-powered device (iPhone 4 or the 4th Generation iPod touch) or the iPhone 3GS (both bootrom styles will work) running Apple’s latest iOS 6.1 firmware.
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and your iDevice’s corresponding 6.0 IPSW (available in the download section)
Steps (for Mac and PC users):
1. Download the latest version of Redsn0w from our download page and run it.
- If you’re on an OS X-based computer, simply right click or control click Redsn0w, followed by “open”.
- If you’re on either Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, you must set the compatibility mode to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and run the program as an administrator by right clicking.
2. Connect the device to your computer via a USB cable and click “Extras” inside of Redsn0w.
3. Choose “Select IPSW” and point the Redsn0w selection window toward your iOS 6.0 IPSW – not 6.1, again, we’re employing a basic workaround for this jailbreak.
4. After the IPSW has been identified, click “OK”, navigate to the main Redsn0w screen and click the other button that says “Jailbreak”.
5. Ensure that the option to “Install Cydia” was checked by default and enter DFU mode by following these simple steps:
- Press and hold the home and power buttons for a total of ten seconds.
- Once ten seconds has passed, release the power button and continue holding the home button for an additional ten to fifteen seconds.
6. After the process has finished, wait for your iPhone or iPod touch to reboot (the video is a good indicator of how long the process should take).
7. Close RedSn0w and re-open in (refer back to the first step for proper opening instructions).
8. Once again, navigate to “Extras”, “Select IPSW” and browse for your 6.0 firmware file. Click “OK” to the identification prompt, select the option to “Just boot” and enter DFU mode by following the instructions found in the fifth step.
Congratulations, you now have a Jailbreak on iOS 6.1!
If you encounter any errors, click here to be taken to my video tutorial on YouTube.
Semi-Untethered: If you want to make your jailbreak semi untethered, follow the instructions outlined here after completing this tutorial.
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for a new Untethered 6.1 Jailbreak tutorial once the utility is released!