MuscleNerd Releases iOS 5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak ‘Info Sheet’, A5 And A5X Devices Should Update
Yesterday, on May 20th, pod2g delivered the amazing news that an untethered iOS 5.1 and 5.1.1 Jailbreak utility should be ready for a release in “a matter of days”. Today, to better answer some the questions from members of the Jailbreak community, MuscleNerd (a very prominent member of the iPhone Dev Team) released a “quick info sheet for 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether”.
Additionally, pod2g mirrored the following 5.1.1 untethered Jailbreak information from MuscleNerd in a post on his blog:
* All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
* @pod2g’s 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
- the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
- @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI “cinject” binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
- timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
* For those wishing to donate, we’ve set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4U6DQGJ2NRVUN
* Please don’t pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).
First, as mentioned in the information listed above, the upcoming Jailbreak will include support for all devices on 5.1.1, including the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3rd-generation (which were previously unsupported until planetbeing provided assistance in the discovery of a kernel exploit) – excluding the Apple TV 3. According to MuscleNerd, unfortunately, the Jailbreak will not encompass the third-generation Apple TV and and there’s “currently no path for jailbreaking”.
Secondly, as confirmed by MuscleNerd in a response on Twitter, it’s now safe to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 and it’s recommended for all newer devices, as they won’t be supported on 5.1 – A5 and A5X devices should update as soon as possible (the iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and the third-generation iPad).
Third, there will also be three variants of utilities for the upcoming Jailbreak including a command line version (irrelevant for most users) and two graphical user interface utilities: an updated version of Redsn0w and Absinthe.
Finally, as stated by MuscleNerd and reiterated by pod2g, while the Jailbreak is scheduled to debut sometime this week, there are still “a number of factors that can influence that” and delay the long-awaited release. With that said, stay tuned for complete coverage regarding the upcoming iOS 5.1.1 untethered Jailbreak.